L’artiste et pianiste Morgan-Paige Melbourne canadienne a un nouvel EP nommé, Dear Serenity. Elle a partagé avec l’Écran Géant son parcours musical, ses inspirations et son histoire.
Who is Morgan ?
- A classically trained pianist
- Love experimenting on different styles
- Adventures in the art world
What does piano represent to you?
- It’s a voice.
- When Morgan was young she was having trouble expressing herself. She was going trough a difficult time (discrimination, bullying, trying to find herself). She wasn’t able to talk about it. Her piano was her safety net.
- Piano is her way to express herself (how to say thing without words).
- She comes from a musical household. One of her family church friend gave the family a piano. After, Morgan started taking classes. She was drawn to it.
- At 13-14 years old, she took it more seriously (pursue as a career) because she didn’t see anyone who looked like her.
- She was introduced to different artists like Hazel Scott, Jessye Norman, Nina Simone.
What is your musical path ? Musical career ?
- It took her a long time to build a reputation and have respect when she was competing.
- 18-19 years old people were realizing that she was not going anywhere. Today, she still faces discrimination.
- She chooses the projects she wants to work on.
- She has her own safe space .
- Within the classical world things are changing. It took a lot of time.
- There are organizations who focused on musical programs for black youth. For example, there’s one in Chicago that is very popular,
– Sistema : a program for youth in troubled homes. There’s a great number of BIPOC students. It’s also known as El Sistema and it began in Venezuela over 30 years good. There are a lot of sister organizations in the world. This program provides free music to impoverished people (Sistema Canada, Sistema USA, Sistema Europe).
- Piano: Khatia Buniatishvili , Hazel Scott,
« Whoever follows their path. »Morgan-Paige Melbourne
- Writing: Morgan listens to everything.
- She loves metal music. It fuses multiple genres and she likes tthe way it brings different sounds together.
- She loves heavy orchestrated music.
- Music: Une Misère – a musical band from Iceland, 90’s Hip-Hop and R&B.
- This decade: alternative, pop, folk music
- Hans Zimmer is one her inspiration. The 3 soundtracks she likes from him are The Roma (short film), Prince of Egypt and Wonderwoman.
« I found inspiration from whoever i’m listening to at the moment. »-Morgan-Paige Melbourne
EP – Dear Serenity : If you would write a letter to serenity , what would write or tell her ?
- Try to find a sense of hope in times of uncertainty in difficult times.
- Letter: it would be a letter to yourself. She would would write: where do you see this going? what would happen to me or to you after dealing with all of this? What’s next? What is the next chapter? Is there a chance for something good to come about?
- It took her 2 months to create the project.
« My writing is the strongest when I’m going through something. »-Morgan-Paige Melbourne
- Personal : she takes her time and doesn’t want to force it.
- Instrumental : she plays with the melodies that come to her head.
- Short films & Silent films : she likes working with different sounds and musical styles.
- Songwriting : she starts with a poem or if there’s a melody she can start writing. Poetry is the starting point for her. It depends on the moment.
Messages in songs
- Everything ties together no matter what is she is doing.
- Dear Serenity : finding your way through a lot of darkness that is going on in your head. It’s a never ending journey. Heaviness in the mind space. It’s part of our human nature.
- Instrumental : showing the truth of the matter and to find me in an authentic manner.
- Show : january 24th (it has been rescheduled on january 16th 2022)
- March 2021 : collaboration with Tapestry Orchestra where she will be collaborating with dancers (collection of all her projects).
- In 5 years : being happy with what she’s doing!
Pour plus d’informations sur Morgan-Paige Melbourne :
- Site Internet : Morgan-Paige Melbourne
- Facebook : Morgan-Paige Melbourne
- Instagram : Morgan.Paige.M
- Twitter et YouTube
Source de l’image : Ian Chang Photography